Saturday, October 8, 2011

Life on the S17 Ranch: What would we do without horses.

In the pictures below is a APHA I named Chief. He was a stud up until a few months before these pics were taken. We desperately needed a truck, so I sold Chief to a member of the Posse for enough to buy our Dodge diesel. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices. But Chief did not go without first touching my heart. Read below.

  One of the things I love the most is training horses. I love a challenge and the more people talk about how unbreakable a horse is, the more I am desperate to try and gentle them.
   I do not take credit for being a "Horse Whisperer" But I do try to work with them and their natural instincts. I like to think of training a horse as if it were building a house. Without a good foundation you are headed for failure down the road. There are no quick fixes that last. You have to dedicate time, meet them half way, have patience and understanding. You need to communicate with one another and understand what each other is asking. Even when you are frustrated, try to be calm, cool and collected. If you get firm, do it without getting mean or mad, and always, ALWAYS end the session on a good note... hmmm... maybe we should put these same principles towards ALL the relationships in our lives...relationships with our family, spouses, children, etc.
Horses have been my best teachers. Although I used to think I was training them, I finally realized that is was them training me. To be a kinder person, to be more patient and understanding, to be clearer with my communication.
I thank the Lord every day that he has given me such great teachers. They have always been there, listened when I needed. They rode me away from troubled times when I needed space. They have took me on many, interesting (lol), and exciting adventures. They have worked so hard to help us with the ranch chores. and given their hearts when we ask them to compete.
Without them, I would not be the Cowgirl I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment